Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Two-A-Days


Lately I am in to two-a-days.
Nope I have not lost my mind and started practicing with a football team, I have
not become an exercise junky, nor am I a newlywed!
I am talking about the picking of wild blackberries. I have plenty of thorny vines
in the back of my property. Lately it seems that I have quite a bit of time on my hands,
and those juicy little berries were begging to become a main ingredient in a cobbler.
It is amazing how rapidly they mature, and how quickly they get over-ripe.
Berries that are not ready to be picked in the morning may well be ready in the evening
and the same is true for those slightly under mature in the evening; they will be ready first 
thing in the morning. Thus, I have been to two-a-days in the blackberry picking realm
for over a week. I have accumulated well over a quart of those pea-sized natural wonders
and have frozen them each morning and evening for safe keeping. Time is fast approaching
to make a creation from the fruits of my labor (literally)!
Fresh, hot, juicy blackberry cobbler ( maybe with a handful of blueberries thrown in for good measure. 
Top that all off with a large scoop of French vanilla  ice cream, and
just enjoy!....after about three or four more two-a-days, I will have quite enough to accomplish
that, and maybe even have enough berries to make a blackberry topping for the Ice cream.
All of this, of course is going to be make with real, pure cane sugar from Hawaii.
Michelle O.  and Mayor Bloomberg…you weren’t invited anyway!...but if any of my kind readers just happen to be downwind and get a sniff when that comes out of the oven….Come On Over!

3 comments: